Thursday, May 08, 2008

Audience

When I was younger, I didn't care what the audience wanted because I thought I was good at giving them what they needed instead. I don't mean that I had deep philosophical ideas that I thought they should hear. I mean that I thought I could construct, through knowledge of craft and awareness and respect for audience, an unexpected experience that they would prize, in part, because it was so unique.

Now, I care more about what they want because I understand that if you want them to have an experience they prize, you have to acknowledge and value and consider and believe in what the audience already values, what they already want. I think I knew this before also but I thought that surprise was something they wanted. It may be but it isn't high on the priority list.

Is it selling out to give the audience more of what they want? At this point, it seems like the only way to be effective. And effective is something I've always wanted to be. . . So, is that a rationalization for selling out or not?

No comments: