Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Another Opening Night. Come Join Us.

I have been lucky and honored in the last year to have a number of people who are willing to produce my work while at the same time involving me intensely in the process.

Before Leah and I take some well-earned backpacking time (OK, she earned it. My life since I met her has been one big adventure), I'll have one more chance to see something wierd I concocted be produced by an incredibly talented and devoted group of people. I don't deserve so good.

Still, I'm going to enjoy this play. I've tried some things I never tried before. In fact, I'm telling people that the play has five things in it that I vowed I would NEVER do as a writer. If you can guess what they all are, then. . . Something. You'll win a door prize.

The play is funny. The characters are complex and charming and also a little unlikeable while still being funny and smart, and I think you'll feel for them anyway. The action of the play is surprising. You will not be able to predict what happens next. Plus, there is dancing.

I think it will be a fun evening, worthy of the spirit of the Fringe Festival. I think people who come to see it will walk out thinking they had a good night, and I hope and believe they might talk about some aspect of it over the course of the rest of their evening.

OK. So I'm tryin' to get you to be one of those people.

The show is called "How to Cheat" It's playing at the University of Minnesota's Rarig Center ARENA STAGE. That's the theater on the south side on the second floor. The Rarig Center is on the corner of 4th street and 21st Avenue in the West Bank.

Finally, the schedule:

Friday, August 4 @ 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 5th @ 4 p.m.
Sunday, August 6th @ 10 p.m.
Thursday, August 10th @ 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 12th @ 7:00 p.m.

Advanced tix from uptowntix.com or 651-209-6799

but that's not the fringe way. Come 15 minutes before the show starts and wait in line. My shows never sell out. They scare people. "I don't think I'll understand it." Maybe. Hell, half the time, I don't understand them. You'll laugh. You'll stay awake. You may even sit forward in your seat. . . What's to understand?

Hope to see you soon.

No comments: